This post may contain affiliate links. I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you if you use my links to make your purchase.
This easy to make Chicken Tortilla Soup is simple but delicious! It doesn’t take much time to throw it all together and there aren’t any hard to find ingredients. In fact, most you probably have in your house right now!
Since we live pretty far from the specialty grocery stores with imported food from around the world, I’ve had to learn to improvise a little more with recipes. That’s how this recipe came about.
Most of the time we don’t have green chilis since we can’t buy those here, but I’ve added them into the recipe anyway since it tastes a lot better with them!
Don’t forget to cook the spices a bit before adding the chicken broth! While you can skip this step and throw everything in the pot together right after the onions and garlic are cooked, I think it adds a lot more flavor to the soup!
At this point the soup is almost done! Just a couple more steps!
The Cilantro can be served fresh as a garnish or added into the soup a few minutes before serving. I like to cook mine and so that it flavors the soup a little more!
I hope you enjoy it! If you have any questions or comments feel free to ask or share them in the comment section below!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 Medium size Onion
- 3 Tbsp oil I like to use coconut or olive
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground spicy chili like Cayenne Optional
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 3 Cups Water or more chicken broth
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 1 Can Pinto beans
- 1 Can Black beans
- 1 4 oz. can Diced green chilis Optional
- 1/2 Cup Frozen corn or mixed veggies
- 4 Diced fresh Roma tomatoes
- 1 Small Bunch of Cilantro
Optional Soup Toppings
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Corn tortillas or tortilla chips
- Dice onion and add it to a pot with the oil.
- Cook on medium heat until onions are translucent.
- While the onions are cooking measure out all the other spices except the salt in a small bowl or food preparation dish and have your chicken broth ready.
- When the onions are translucent, add the garlic. Let it cook for just 30 seconds and then add the spices. Keep stirring with a spoon so that it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan and burn. The heat helps the flavor of the spices to come out so that the soup won't have to cook for as long. But you don't want the garlic to burn, so don't over cook it!
- After the garlic, onions, and spices have been cooking together for about 30 seconds, add the chicken broth and turn the heat up.
- While it continues to heat up add the water, whole chicken breasts, salt, beans, frozen corn or veggies, green chilis, and diced tomatoes (everything except for the cilantro).
- Put on the lid of the pot. Once it comes to a boil just keep it at a steady simmer stirring occasionally.
- Cook for about 45 minutes or if you are short on time, just until the chicken is cooked through. The longer it all cooks together, the better the flavor and more tender the chicken.
- Take the chicken out and shred it with forks on a cutting board and then add it back to the soup.
- Optional : About 10 min before you are ready to eat. Chop up the cilantro and add it into the soup. Or you can just serve it fresh as a garnish on top.
- Serve with your desired toppings and enjoy!